Following growing concern about a rise in crime - particularly burglaries - in Tottington and Ramsbottom, I met with Superintendent Rick Jackson to discuss the police response and what more should be done to reassure the public and address this issue.
Rick confirmed that significant resources are being dedicated to this, including:
- Extra patrols have been introduced on nights, including a dedicated neighbourhood team in the area
- An enhanced service is being provided by the Crime Scene Investigation Unit
- Work with police teams in Bolton and Lancashire is underway on cross border intelligence gathering
- Crime prevention information is going out through the letterbox and on social media and community leaders have been briefed
- Pop-up crime prevention surgeries are being held in shops, libraries and at community events
GMP inform me that they have arrested four burglars recently and want to assure the public that visible and covert operations are underway to make further arrests to reduce the number of burglaries.
We can all play our part by making it harder for criminals - make sure your alarms are working, fix the bulbs on your security lights, keep your tools locked away and don't leave your cars running unattended outside to de-frost.
I will continue to monitor the situation closely and keep residents updated. E-mail your name and address to email@example.com if you want to be added to the list to receive my fortnightly e-newsletter.
Labour MP for Bury North